Yadgir, popularly called as “Yadavagiri” by the local people, was once a capital of the Yadava Kingdom. Has a rich historical and cultural traditions. Yadavas, chose Yadgir to be their capital and ruled from here from 1347 to 1425 A.D. Mentioned as Yadgir in ancient inscriptions, Yadgir is popularly known as “Yadavagiri” by the locals. Yadgir district has its deep routs in history. The famous dynasties of the south, the Satavahans, the Chalukyas of Badami, the Rastrkuta, Shahis, the Aidil shahis, the Nizam Shahis have ruled over the district. In 1504 Yadgir (Gulbarga) was permanently annexed to Adil Shahi kingdom of Bijapur. In 1657 with the invasion of Mir Jumla it passed into the hands of Mughals. Later with the establishment of Asaf Jahi (Nizam) Dynasty of Hyderabad (1724 - 1948) Yadgir and Gulbarga came under it. In 1863 when Nizam Government formed Jillabandi, Surpur (Shorapur) became district headquarter, with nine Talukas of which Gulbarga was one of the them. In 1873 Gulbarga was formed into Separate district with seven taluks. With reorganization of states in 1956 Gulbarga became Part of Karnataka State and Divisional headquarter. (Yadgiri is one of the taluka comes under Gulbarga district). The Bahamani rulers built Gulbarga city with Palaces, Mosques, Gumbazs, Bazaars and other public buildings. There are five score large and small Marques and three score and ten Darghas in Gulbarga. The City is described as a “Garden of Gumbazs” So also number of Temples, churches and other religious centers are spread all over the city. (In Yadgir Yadava dynasty fort situated in middle of the hill.) in side the fort the Jumma Masjid, a noteworthy monument of Gulbarga is in well preserved condition. It is said that it resembles the famous mosque of ‘Cordova’ city in Spain. The Masjid measuring 216 ft. east-west and 176 ft north south covering an area of 38016 sq ft. Happens to be the only mosque in India, which is completely covered. Fergusson observes this “as one of the most remarkable of its class in India in some respect unique. Yadgir district is the 2nd smallest district in the state, area wise is very rich in cultural traditions. The vast stretch of fertile black soil of the district is known for bumper red gram and jawar crops. The district is a “Daal bowl” of the state. The district is also known for cluster of cement industries and a distinct stone popularly know as “Malakheda Stone”. Yadgir has been blessed by the incessant flowing of two main rivers Krishna and Bhima in addition to these two, a few tributaries flow in this region. The upper Krishna project and Shahapur Taluka in Bendebembali “Core Green Sugar Factory yet to started. Yadgir which is known for of industries is presently showing great deal of signs of growth in the cement, textile, leather, and chemical production in the industrial sector. One of the recent developments, where in the people of Yadgir are proud and boastful is that the establishment of Agriculture University in Bheemarayana Gudi (B.Gudi).The cabinet meeting held at Gulbarga on 26 September 2008, has resolved Yadgir will be formed as new district. Accordingly the Hon'ble Chief Minister declared Yadgir as new district. Followed by this the Government has appointed an IAS officer as Special Officer for Yadgir district until the final Notification of district is published in the Karnataka Gazette.
Yadgir district devided into 3 talukas, they are : Yadgir, Shahpur, Shorapur
The town was under the Western Chalukyas in the ancient period. The name Yadgir (Yadgiri, historically known as Yetagir ) is derived from its early medieval rulers 'Yadavas' ruled with their establishments on a mountain known as 'giri' in Kannada. Yadavs from the present-day Andhra Pradesh. A certain Mohammed Kasim was said to be a strong chieftain who ruled Yadgir for a long period after defeating the Yadavs, though there is no historical evidence to support it. Later, it came under the reign of the Bahamani Sultanate, the Bijapur Sultanate and finally, the Nizams of Hyderabad. A major economic development of the city took place under Philip Meadows Taylor, the administrator of the principality of Shorapur.
Shahapur is on of the Town in Shahapur Taluk , Yadgir District , Karnataka State . Shahapur is 32.4 km distance from its District Main City Yadgir . And 423 km distance from its State Main City Bangalore . . Other villages in Shahapur Taluk are Anabi , Bendebembali , Bilar , Chamnal , Chatnalli , Doranhalli Shorapur is one of the Town in Shorapur Taluk in Yadgir District in Karnataka State . Shorapur is 48.1 km far from its District Main City Yadgir . It is 405 km far from its State Main City Bangalore . Shorapur is known for the Sri Venugopla Swami Temple. Even today all the disciplines offered in the Tirumala Temple at Tirupati were started from the contribution of then Surpur (Shorapur) Kings. They never visit the Tirumala temple, but a representative would be sent on their behalf. From 1703 the Bedar (Tribal) Kingdom rose and ruled it up to 1858, with the last king being Nalvadi Venkatappa Nayak. The major Occupation of people around here is farming. Shorapur is a large producer of Cotton,Pulses & Paddy. Major attractions are The Fort(Darbar), Taylor manzil, Gopalswami Temple, Jain Temple, Devar baavi.